News

Nigeria Targets Global Alliances to Drive Clean Energy Development

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has said Nigeria is prepared to work closely with African countries, international partners, and the private sector to deliver cleaner, more affordable, inclusive, and secure energy solutions.

The President made this known while opening the 9th Nigeria International Energy Summit at the State House Banquet Hall in Abuja. The event attracted global energy leaders, senior government officials, executives of international and indigenous energy companies, development finance institutions, and representatives of host communities.

Represented by Vice President Kashim Shettima, Tinubu described energy as a vital force that underpins modern economies, sustains societies, and maintains balance among nations. He stressed that Nigeria is prioritising the use of its abundant gas resources as a transition fuel while expanding renewable energy capacity.

According to him, energy must serve as a unifying force that stabilises economies, powers industries, lights homes, fuels innovation, and builds trust between governments, investors, and citizens.

Reflecting on the state of the sector inherited in 2023, Tinubu noted that despite its vast potential, Nigeria’s energy industry was burdened by inefficiencies, uncertainty, and years of underinvestment. He said his administration moved swiftly to reposition the sector, recognising energy as a driver of national security, industrialisation, social inclusion, and regional cooperation.

The President reaffirmed the government’s commitment to building an energy system anchored on reliability, transparency, sustainability, and shared prosperity.

He highlighted the sustained implementation of the Petroleum Industry Act as a key reform pillar, strengthening regulatory institutions, clarifying roles, and restoring investor confidence. Under the reforms, upstream activity rebounded strongly, with rig counts rising from eight in 2021 to 69 by late 2025.

Tinubu added that Final Investment Decisions exceeding $8bn had been secured, including major offshore gas projects involving global energy firms. Foreign direct investment into the oil and gas sector also recovered, driven by regulatory clarity, fiscal reforms, and improved operating conditions.

He further disclosed that crude oil theft, which had long undermined production and revenues, had declined significantly following enhanced security coordination, surveillance, and regulatory enforcement, improving Nigeria’s production reliability in global markets.

In his remarks, Gambian President Adama Barrow said Nigeria’s energy policies have far-reaching regional implications, stressing that strategic partnerships remain essential for achieving energy security across Africa.

Equatorial Guinea’s President, Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, urged African countries to move beyond exporting raw materials and focus on local processing to secure long-term benefits for future generations.

Senate President Godswill Akpabio, in a speech delivered on his behalf, said energy in Africa goes beyond resources, emphasising its role in inclusive and sustainable prosperity. He assured that the National Assembly would continue to provide legislative backing to support sector growth and economic resilience.

  • 2027: We must look beyond tribe, religion – Kwankwaso

    A chieftain of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, Rabi’u Kwankwaso, has called on Nigerians to look beyond tribe and religion in the next year’s general elections. Kwankwaso made this call on Sunday in an interview with Trust TV while speaking on the 2027 general elections. He said the North and the Muslims cannot play politics without the…

  • Sultan declares Monday as Dhul Hijjah 1, Eid-Al-Adha Wednesday, May 27

    The Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), His Eminence Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, has declared Monday, May 18, 2026, as the first day of Dhul Hijjah 1447 After Hijrah (AH), following the sighting of the crescent moon. The announcement was conveyed in a statement issued by the…

  • US, Nigerian forces eliminate ISIS deputy leader, Abu-Bilal al-Minuki

    United States President Donald Trump has announced that American forces, in collaboration with the Nigerian Armed Forces, carried out a joint military operation that resulted in the killing of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, identified as the second-in-command of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, ISIS, worldwide. In a statement posted on his Truth Social account on Saturday,…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version